11 Oct 2012

One day women will rule the world


This week I was delighted when English National Ballet announced that their new Chief Executive was Karen Napier. With a strong history in the arts industry, working for Rambert Dance Company, English National Opera and the Southbank Centre Hayward Gallery, Karen had spent the last 4 years as Associate Dean, Advancement at London Business School. 

Having a female Chief Executive has filled me with joy. I still remember the day I asked Alistair Spalding how he felt about being a male Chief Exec with a workforce that was heavily female dominated. I'm not a feminist that is stating that every company should have a female Chief Exec, but it just alarms in that in the arts, where work forces are largely female, there is still a heavy male presence at the top. Name a few of the most influence London arts organisations and their Chief Executive or Managing Director.

Barbican - Sir Nicholas KenyonSadler's Wells - Alistair SpaldingTate Modern - Sir Nicholas SerotaRoyal Ballet - Kevin O’Hare

Male, male, male and male! 

Well I can't wait for February the 1st and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to work at with Karen and hopefully picking up some tips for how to be a successful business woman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment