19 Apr 2012

You are only as good as the people you know

Growing up I was taught to work hard and anything I wanted professionally could be mine. I truly believed my parents, family and teachers until I moved to London. Then I was introduced to networking and ever since I feel as if day in and day out it is being drilled into me - "you are only as good as the people you know". To get anywhere you have to network. However, it is easier said then done.

A few months back after a training session I picked up 'The Rules of Networking' by Rob Yeung. I found the book extremely useful because it started from the very beginning of starting initial conversations, to following up meeting people, keeping in touch and finally achieving your networking objective (whatever that may be). It was full of useful tips that you could put into practice easily. One that I remembered straight away was at events with drink to ensure I held it in my left hand. This allows your right hand, the hand most people shake hands with, to be free. At first as a right-handed person it seemed weird, but it is so logical once you think about it.

Networking is a subject that most don't want to talk about, although it doesn't seem like it is going to disappear soon. Only today I was reading 'The Science of Networking', which looked at the type of network a person should be aiming for. It is the the science, the artificial and the fake nature of networking which I believe what turns people off. No one wants to think they are part of someone's calculated plan in order to succeed in the professional life. Therefore, really and truly, to be successful at networking you need to appear to not be doing it at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment