21 Apr 2012

Wild Swans

Last night I went to see Wild Swans at Young Vic. Wild Swans is a worldwide bestseller memoir written by Yung Chan. It seemed the popularity of the book had translated to amazing audiences.  It was press night for Wild Swans and the house was full. As a co-production between Young Vic, American Repertory Theater and Actors Touring Company, this is the second half of the productions journey, which started its run in Boston and the American Repertory Theatre. Having met Yung Chan and heard so much about the show in the office I was excited to see what the final show live.

When we entered the performers were already on the stage bustling about in a very condensed stage that was covered in soil. There was a strong spell in the air, which made me instantly remember Shared Experience's A Passage To India.  I wondered if this would be the set for the entire night, but with each new act there was a scene change. I have to say it was the most remarkable scene changes I have even seen. Everything happens before the audience's eyes but with precision and seamless choreography. The scene changes were pieces of art in themselves and my favourite was when all of sudden the stage was covered in water. I hadn't noticed it entering so it felt magical.

I haven't read Wild Swans so I have no idea whether the adaptation by Alexandra Wood did the memoir justice. However, I was just shocked because everything I had read about the memoir had suggested it tracking three generations of women. Yet, throughout the play it felt that the male husband/father character was the main thread. Prehaps it was felt that story was the most compelling or it was the best way to have a coherent through-line. When adapting a memoir that many have told me is large enough to be used as a door stop, it is clear that considerable cuts will have to be made.

Overall, I enjoyed Wild Swans it was an interesting story that raised issues about class, capitalism and communism without appearing to force a particular stance. I am sure this will depend on who an audience member felt empathy for. However, at the heart it appeared to be about belief and standing up for what you believed no matter what. This is a theme that transcends both China's history and politics in general. It is a theme that effects every one of us as we go about our lives doing what is right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment