16 Aug 2012

Charelle - the Hip Hop Honey!




Yes, that's right my moment has finally come. I came to London to live the life, work in the creative industries and dreamt that I would get my three minutes of fame. Well, last November, which seems a lifetime ago now I went on set for King Kash's H.O.T. - King Kash is an unsigned rap/hip hop artist, who on Monday released his EP 'Worth The Wait', which features H.O.T. So on a cold morning I dragged myself to a warehouse in Bermondsey (for those of you are not from London. There is NOTHING glamorous about Bermondsey) and met with my good friend Lennisha who was going to join me to dance for the day. Arriving on set there was lots of children 'street' dancers and I wondered whether I was at the right place. Then it was revealed that there would be the children dancing, alongside shots of Kash with the more mature lady, Kash with the guys and Kash doing his thing and then the girls alone. It was a long day and the girls would be the last to be shoot. The day was long, I was cold and hungry and realised quickly that I am glad I gave up the dream of being a dancer when I left University. 

Then it was finally my moment. First all of the girls danced together and then the videographer decided she wanted us to dance alone. I wasn't prepared to dance alone and the thought of everyone looking at me made me nervous. Now normally I am not shy about dancing. Anyone who has ever seen me on a night out will know that you stick a Beyonce track and I am shocking out in the middle of the floor and I just don't care. However, with everyone looking at you on set it is scary. It is artificial. You are not having a great time with your girls on a Saturday night in a sweatbox. In fact, you are in a freezing warehouse with a videographer telling you to look this way, touch your hair, touch your body.  There are lights on you and a windmachine! Well, I can't lie that I didn't enjoy that bit. Seriously, if it was up to me I would have a windmachine follow me around 24/7! But other than that I found it a bit too much to cope with. But then something clicked I forgot about everything around me and for the last take I was just Charelle, dancing to a H.O.T. tune. 

The scariest thing about being in a video is the wait. I have spent the last 9 months thinking it will be the moment that I forgot everyone was watching that will be on the video. I was so scared it would be cringe-worthy and then I would have to go on set again to get my evidence that I was proud to show of me as a hip hop honey. Well, the video is here and I am happy to say I am happy with it. It is more like 3 seconds, than 3 minutes of fame but I can say I did it. I am a video girl!! Charelle is a hip hop honey! I will have my body on YouTube for the whole of eternity. So check out King Kash's H.O.T and remember, don't blink otherwise you will miss me.

No comments:

Post a Comment